I love Joanna *_*

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

RRJ #1 : Teaching English in Saudi Arabia

Reference:

Robert Hughes & Graeme Chesters. (2003 - 2010 ). Teaching English in Saudi Arabia. Just landed from Living and Working in Arabian Gulf States and Saudi Arabia. Retrieved on Aug.28, 2010. From http://www.justlanded.com/english/Saudi-Arabia/Saudi-Arabia-Guide/Jobs/teaching-English-in-Saudi-Arabia.


Summary:

This article discusses where we can teach English Language in Saudi Arabia. English Language is the second language in Saudi Arabia that all people can use to communicate with foreign people in some hotels, air ports, and hospitals. There is some private tuition that gives private English lessons for those who failed and wanted to pass the exam. There is also a British Council that teaches English with native speakers. Saudi Arabia offered some private schools that teach English language from elementary school. There are many language schools that teach the students who have work in the morning and then they attend the class after the work. In the end, some fluent people who can speak English and Arabic can work as translators.



Reaction:

My major is English Language and Literature. I am also an English teacher in a university. I really appreciate what my country does for the students to learn the English Language. But, I admit that it still lacks many things in teaching processes. I started studying English since I was in the first year in the intermediate school. However, My English teachers were Arab. So, that was not a helpful way to learn English at all. I remember one of my Egyptian teachers was pronounced "thing" as "sing". They always exchange some letters and pronounce it wrongly. As a result, we should have native speakers to teach our students the true language. I am thankful that my country taught me an English Language for several years, but I want to say that I still need to improve my English. It has developed since I came to the United States. I hope that I can maintain of my good pronunciation that I picked it up in the US. So, when I return, I will be a better teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment