I love Joanna *_*

Monday, October 11, 2010

Reading Reaction Journal # 5

Reference:

Case, Alex (2008). "Why does my teacher make me use an English-English Dictionary?" Just landed from English Usage+ Why does my teacher make me use an English-English Dictionary?. Retrieved on Oct. 4, 2010 from http://usingenglish.com/articles/why-dies-my-teacher-make-me-use-an-englishenglish-dictionary.html

Summary:

In this article, by Alex Case, it shows the good reasons for using an English-English Dictionary in a classroom. It is hard work to use a monolingual dictionary, but it is worth it at the end. Teachers should ask thier students to use an English-English dictionary by stopping translating any word into their own language and letting them in order to get them try to know the meaning of any word in English. There are different monolingual dictionaries available according to the students' level such as Intermediate Learner' Dictionary. Consequently, they can learn vocabulary and grammar words at the same time. So, students can learn the English language by trying to do some excercises in the textbook, speaking with a teacher who doesn't speak their own language, and reducing the use of electronic dictionary which takes more time.

Reaction:

I gree with Alex Case that using an English-English Dictionary is gard in the beginning but it is worth it at the end. So, all English teachers shouldn't allow the students to use any bilingual dictionary because by using it, they will not take the benefit from studying vocabulary. Also, some students depend on memorizing the meaning of any word in their own language without trying to look up the meaning from the monolingual dictionary. Actually, I don't mind knowing of the word in your own language, butthat doesn't mean you ignore the definition, grammar, and synonym of that word from the dictionary. Moreover, I recommend that all my students use Cambridge Dictionary of American English because it is very useful and helpful. I really like to use it to translate any difficult word. Students also can practice their vocabulary by asking their teachers to explain the meaning of any difficult word, and doing some textbook exercises require writing definitons or aynonyms. In short, using a monolingual dictionary is very important for the students to improve their vocabulary skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment